About two weeks ago we talked about how much I love your guts and we covered the 4 R's to restoring and maintaining a healthy gut. Well here's a healing superfood that will work for 2 of the 4 R's! Before I tell you which ones, let's talk about this superfood, Colostrum!
The most important thing to know about colostrum is that there are A LOT of inferior products on the market. In fact there are only a few companies that have certified colostrum or 6 hour colostrum. That means the colostrum comes from the mama cow within 6 hours of her giving birth. Any milk that comes after those first 6 hours is called transitional milk. A lot of other companies are selling "transitional milk" but calling it colostrum. So the bottom line is, stick with Surthrival or another certified 6 hour colostrum product.
No animals were injured or deprived in producing this colostrum. As I explained, colostrum comes from the first milk after a calf is birthed. Luckily, the mama cows will produce enough colostrum for the calf and still have enough to donate to humans. Surthrival sources their colostrum from a dairy that allows the cows to roam free on pasture. Additionally these cows aren't given any antibiotics or hormones.
Remember the 4 R's for Restoring and Maintaining Gut Health? Here they are if you forgot:
1. Remove junk food, sugar, and other substances that damage your gut (micro-villi)
2. Replace with healing foods
3. Repair with supplements and nutrients
4. Re-balance with probiotics
1. Colostrum is a healing superfood. The 2nd 'R' instructs us to replace junk food with healing foods. Colostrum is the perfect food to use in your coffee or tea instead of using creamer. Creamer is usually made with high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. YUCK! Colostrum is a slighty sweet powder that requires a wisk if you are putting it in liquid. It is also a great addition to healing treats like these yummy recipes. I usually add about 1-2 tablepoons to all of my Sippers and Smoothies. The creaminess is unbelievable!
2. Colostrum helps with the 3rd 'R' because it can heal and repair Leaky Gut. It has 95 different substances that support your immune system---which, by the way, is in your gut. It contains all 5 Immunoglobulins (Ig). So if you are consuming colostrum on a regular basis, you will have immunity from some viruses, bacteria, parasites and other pathogens. One of the biggest hurdles to healing Leaky Gut is getting rid of "bad bugs" in the gut. Colostrum is an immune modulator. Modulate means to turn up or down. It can encourage either direction. Will colostrum help with a low immune system? YES! Will it also help with an overactive autoimmune issue? YES!
There are over 7000 medical studies on colostrum. How have I been missing out on this superfood for so long? Check them out if you have the time.
Also, here's an amazing interview between Daniel Vitalis of Surthrival discussing Colostrum and all of its greatness with Dr. Anthony Kleinsmith.
For additional recipes, biohacking tips and lifestyle hacks -- check out my other blog on my coaching site www.cleancoachcarly.com! I post weekly about nutrition and lifestyle topics, all backed by science. Happy Reading!
The name Dr. Ohhira has stirred up some conversation in the health and well-being community recently, with many individuals jumping on the probiotic train. Dr. Ohhira is a brand of probiotics, lifeline supplements, and even skincare that has been only increasing in popularity as of late. From the Essential Formula’s Collagen to the Original Probiotics, Ohhira offers a variety of well-balanced, clean, and nutrient-rich wellness supplements.
If I asked you to put your hand on your heart, would you know what to do? Most of us know that our hearts are on the left side, just below the collarbone. Now, if I asked you to put your hand on your immune system, would you know what to do? Most people don’t have any idea about where their immune system is. Of course, you know that it is inside your body; but where is it exactly?