About two weeks ago we talked about how much I love your guts and we covered the 4 R's to restoring and maintaining a healthy gut. Well here's a healing superfood that will work for 2 of the 4 R's! Before I tell you which ones, let's talk about this superfood, Colostrum!
The most important thing to know about colostrum is that there are A LOT of inferior products on the market. In fact there are only a few companies that have certified colostrum or 6 hour colostrum. That means the colostrum comes from the mama cow within 6 hours of her giving birth. Any milk that comes after those first 6 hours is called transitional milk. A lot of other companies are selling "transitional milk" but calling it colostrum. So the bottom line is, stick with Surthrival or another certified 6 hour colostrum product.
No animals were injured or deprived in producing this colostrum. As I explained, colostrum comes from the first milk after a calf is birthed. Luckily, the mama cows will produce enough colostrum for the calf and still have enough to donate to humans. Surthrival sources their colostrum from a dairy that allows the cows to roam free on pasture. Additionally these cows aren't given any antibiotics or hormones.
Remember the 4 R's for Restoring and Maintaining Gut Health? Here they are if you forgot:
1. Remove junk food, sugar, and other substances that damage your gut (micro-villi)
2. Replace with healing foods
3. Repair with supplements and nutrients
4. Re-balance with probiotics
1. Colostrum is a healing superfood. The 2nd 'R' instructs us to replace junk food with healing foods. Colostrum is the perfect food to use in your coffee or tea instead of using creamer. Creamer is usually made with high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. YUCK! Colostrum is a slighty sweet powder that requires a wisk if you are putting it in liquid. It is also a great addition to healing treats like these yummy recipes. I usually add about 1-2 tablepoons to all of my Sippers and Smoothies. The creaminess is unbelievable!
2. Colostrum helps with the 3rd 'R' because it can heal and repair Leaky Gut. It has 95 different substances that support your immune system---which, by the way, is in your gut. It contains all 5 Immunoglobulins (Ig). So if you are consuming colostrum on a regular basis, you will have immunity from some viruses, bacteria, parasites and other pathogens. One of the biggest hurdles to healing Leaky Gut is getting rid of "bad bugs" in the gut. Colostrum is an immune modulator. Modulate means to turn up or down. It can encourage either direction. Will colostrum help with a low immune system? YES! Will it also help with an overactive autoimmune issue? YES!
There are over 7000 medical studies on colostrum. How have I been missing out on this superfood for so long? Check them out if you have the time.
Also, here's an amazing interview between Daniel Vitalis of Surthrival discussing Colostrum and all of its greatness with Dr. Anthony Kleinsmith.
For additional recipes, biohacking tips and lifestyle hacks -- check out my other blog on my coaching site www.cleancoachcarly.com! I post weekly about nutrition and lifestyle topics, all backed by science. Happy Reading!
There is no doubt that these times are trying for many of us. The question is, how does this affect our health? One crucial vitamin to your body’s functioning is vitamin D. Many of us are vitamin D deficient, and this has a variety of impacts on our bone health and overall immune system.
Zinc supplements just might be the perfect addition to your routine. Zinc comes in a few over-the-counter forms: zinc oxide, zinc picolinate, and zinc lozenges. All of these zinc supplements have some pretty incredible health benefits. To learn more about what exactly zinc is, how it can help your body, what it does for you sexually, overcoming zinc deficiency, as well as general information about appropriate supplement usage, keep on reading. This all-in-one zinc source has got you covered!
Skin conditions is such a broad term, however, that many people don’t recognize how many different types of skin conditions there are. Some of the more common skin conditions include eczema, psoriasis, ichthyosis, rosacea, and several other conditions that I’ll go over in-depth throughout this article.