Enter Discount Code 10HEALTHY at checkout for $10 off orders of $100 or more! (Brand exclusions apply - Click for details)
by Carly Neubert, BA, NC February 11, 2016
About two weeks ago we talked about how much I love your guts and we covered the 4 R's to restoring and maintaining a healthy gut. Well here's a healing superfood that will work for 2 of the 4 R's! Before I tell you which ones, let's talk about this superfood, Colostrum!
The most important thing to know about colostrum is that there are A LOT of inferior products on the market. In fact there are only a few companies that have certified colostrum or 6 hour colostrum. That means the colostrum comes from the mama cow within 6 hours of her giving birth. Any milk that comes after those first 6 hours is called transitional milk. A lot of other companies are selling "transitional milk" but calling it colostrum. So the bottom line is, stick with Surthrival or another certified 6 hour colostrum product.
No animals were injured or deprived in producing this colostrum. As I explained, colostrum comes from the first milk after a calf is birthed. Luckily, the mama cows will produce enough colostrum for the calf and still have enough to donate to humans. Surthrival sources their colostrum from a dairy that allows the cows to roam free on pasture. Additionally these cows aren't given any antibiotics or hormones.
Remember the 4 R's for Restoring and Maintaining Gut Health? Here they are if you forgot:
1. Remove junk food, sugar, and other substances that damage your gut (micro-villi)
2. Replace with healing foods
3. Repair with supplements and nutrients
4. Re-balance with probiotics
1. Colostrum is a healing superfood. The 2nd 'R' instructs us to replace junk food with healing foods. Colostrum is the perfect food to use in your coffee or tea instead of using creamer. Creamer is usually made with high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. YUCK! Colostrum is a slighty sweet powder that requires a wisk if you are putting it in liquid. It is also a great addition to healing treats like these yummy recipes. I usually add about 1-2 tablepoons to all of my Sippers and Smoothies. The creaminess is unbelievable!
2. Colostrum helps with the 3rd 'R' because it can heal and repair Leaky Gut. It has 95 different substances that support your immune system---which, by the way, is in your gut. It contains all 5 Immunoglobulins (Ig). So if you are consuming colostrum on a regular basis, you will have immunity from some viruses, bacteria, parasites and other pathogens. One of the biggest hurdles to healing Leaky Gut is getting rid of "bad bugs" in the gut. Colostrum is an immune modulator. Modulate means to turn up or down. It can encourage either direction. Will colostrum help with a low immune system? YES! Will it also help with an overactive autoimmune issue? YES!
There are over 7000 medical studies on colostrum. How have I been missing out on this superfood for so long? Check them out if you have the time.
Also, here's an amazing interview between Daniel Vitalis of Surthrival discussing Colostrum and all of its greatness with Dr. Anthony Kleinsmith.
For additional recipes, biohacking tips and lifestyle hacks -- check out my other blog on my coaching site www.cleancoachcarly.com! I post weekly about nutrition and lifestyle topics, all backed by science. Happy Reading!
by Carly Neubert, BA, NC July 28, 2021
Takesumi is a specific type of carbonized bamboo with some extreme health benefits. Formulated and sourced by Supreme Nutrition, Takesumi Supreme harnesses the power of this bamboo charcoal to create a product with detoxification, anti-radiation, and anti-aging properties.
by Carly Neubert, BA, NC July 14, 2021
Strong bones are one of the most crucial aspects of a healthy lifestyle. They protect all your internal organs, support your muscles, allow you to participate in social activities, and carry you through long work days. Keeping all this in mind, it's time to be a little more attentive to your bone health.
by Carly Neubert, BA, NC July 07, 2021
Neuroscience has many connotations to us. To some, it brings up an image of an extremely difficult college major. To others, it is purely the study of how we analyze our brains and nervous systems. To me, however, I think of the brand “NeuroScience” and the top-performing and wonderful products they are providing. NeuroScience is taking the knowledge we have gathered about our brains to create unique solutions to help your nervous system.